1 Corinthians 9:24-27

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize?
Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes
into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it
to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running
aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and
make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be
disqualified for the prize.


Sunday, October 24, 2010

Water

Over the past couple of years, I've really grown to appreciate water.  It's not a tasty or exciting beverage, but I'm constantly reminded of how much I need it.  There are a lot of times though when I really don't want to drink water.  Pop, tea, juice, milk, they all sound so much more appealing to me but when I'm dehydrated nothing can solve the problem like water.  This week, I've been thinking about this and find it really interesting that even though I don't always like or want water I do have a thirst for it specifically.

I remember the song and Bible verse that says "As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul longs for You"... now STOP and before you think I'm going to get 'cliche' or impose some list of what we should desire, that's not it at all.  It's really the exact opposite for me.  I hear the words to this song and many times think "but I don't long for God.  What's wrong with me??"  Thinking about my body's response to water this week has really helped put this concept into perspective.  I don't long to drink water.  It's not fun and exciting to drink water.  I'd rather order a nice raspberry sweet tea at restaurants, but I force myself to get water... Why?  Because it does my body good.  It prepares my body for running. It's the only thing that really satisfies my thirst.  So it is in my relationship with God.  Often times I'd rather watch TV, read a book, shop, sleep, or just zone out than read the Bible.  It just doesn't sound fun to read the Bible sometimes.  But, I haven't given up on it... Why?  Because it does my soul good.  It prepares me to face a difficult day.  It's the only thing that really fills the emptiness in my heart. 

The Bible tells me that my heart is desperately wicked and does not desire God, but that my soul longs for Him.  I couldn't understand this at first - it seems like a contradiction, but this week, thinking about water has made it really clear!  ... in so many areas of life what I desire and what I need don't always match up - Lord, help me to see these areas and choose the best route!

No comments:

Post a Comment