1 Corinthians 9:24-27

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize?
Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes
into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it
to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running
aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and
make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be
disqualified for the prize.


Saturday, October 16, 2010

RE-fresh and RE-focus

Last week I completed my 4th marathon.  As with most runners, I had several goals ... some of them I achieved and others I didn't.  I had hoped to finish in faster than 4 hours this time, but I had also decided that I would still be happy with the race if I only set a Personal Record.  Turned out that my second goal was more realistic and I finished with a 13 minute PR (only 7 minutes slower than a 4 hour finish... there's always next time).  I was most happy with the fact that I felt great when I finished, was able to walk normally the next day, and now after only 6 days of rest feel refreshed and ready to refocus on the next goal.  I'm excited to see how I will be able tackle the next challenge!

I can't help but think that my spiritual life is similar.  I have several goals in relation to Bible Study, Prayer, Spiritual Growth and Church Involvement.  Some of my goals are realistic and others are not.  I have to allow myself to celebrate when I achieve the realistic goals and not beat myself up when I don't achieve others.  I have to realize that God sees all that I do and He of all people will understand my limitations and celebrate my small achievements.  It gives me such a sense of freedom and an understanding of His love for me when I look at it this way.  He's not shaming me for the goals I didn't achieve.  Instead He's celebrating the small victories with me.  He also allows for me to have times of refreshment and refocusing so I can be prepared for the next effort.  Just as rest is essential for me to run a good Marathon, so are times of rest essential for my spiritual growth. 

1 comment:

  1. I tend to beat myself up in goals...But reminded to celebrate the small goals in life. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete